sábado, 30 de mayo de 2009

Not quite bad for the first six years!!!


I am currently running an American English school in Madrid. I remember when I opened the first center, it was just me. I taught the classes, I designed the publicity, I cleaned the place... I did everything through endless working hours. Well, when you have a business that's what you have to do.

Sometimes I complain about the biz not performing as good as I want. But I think if we analyze the situation we have accomplished great things since I opened the first center on October 2003.

- There are 17 persons working in the company right now. We have created a great working enviroment, I get a lot of hugs and kisses when I get to work! Our team of teachers is very international: we have people from the US, Spain, England and Canada!. My mum is one of them and that's nice! :)

- We have grown from a little center in a suburb of Madrid to two campuses and a Summer Class in sunny Florida. And we are about to get a bigger place for the financial district one!

- Last year I asked one of my best friends to invest in the company and help me. I thought at this time he would hate me. But no, it's just great to work with one of the most important persons in your life. I like to see Juan everyday and I think our friendship is stronger now. He came up with wonderful ideas, like moving to a bigger office in Cuzco and we are all so excited about that!!!  He co-owns the company now and works as Vice President, and it is wonderful to have executive lunches with him almost every day!!!

- Between the two centers we have 130 students and some VIP clients like the Royal Federation of Golf. Around 600 people have studied English, French, German, Chinese, Maths or Computers in our centers since we opened in 2003!!!

So, after reading this information, I can tell myself: hey Albert! you are not doing it that bad. Of course you have to achieve more goals: like our first center in the US, oh! and some profits for Juan and me after all this hard work will be great!!! But I mean, hey! General Motors, Chrysler, Ford, Citibank, Bank of America... they are all loosing money and getting help from the government! My company doesn't owe money to anybody!, we don't even have a loan and of course, no help from any government. I think I will keep up the good work with a big smile!!! :)

1 comentario: