viernes, 1 de mayo de 2009

Let's cheer up for the girls!!! - a tribute to Bea Arthur


There's no doubt that "The Golden Girls" is one of my favorite TV shows. I started watching it when I was a kid, but those third age ladies really made a connection with me. I remember how sweet Rose was, how smart Dorothy was, the ironic sense of humor of Sophia and Blanche, well, what can I say about Blanche :)

When they aired the show for the first time on NBC in the late 80's most of the cast where already TV legends. Bea Arthur (Dorothy Zbornack) was an acclaimed comedian best known for being the main character in the 70's sitcom "Maude". Rue McLanahan (Blanche Deveraux) was a famous theatre actress whose life was like her alter-ego Blanche (married seven times) as she descrives in her memoirs. Betty White was already a legend of the television medium when she started playing the role of naive Rose Nylund. A statue of her remains in the "Hall of Television Legends" at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando.

In the other hand, Estelle Getty dreamed about becoming an actress. Moved to LA from NYC as a teenager and worked as waitress and shop assistant until she was selected to play the role of the sarcastic Sophia Petrillo in her mid 50's. In fact, although Getty played the role of Dorothy's mother she was younger by a few months than Arthur.

What a wonderful lives those ladies had!!! Entertaining and making laugh to an entire world. Getty passed away last year and her death was on the news worldwide. Bea Arthur died last week after battling against cancer in her Hollywood (CA) home, she was 86.

But I'm sure they will make us laugh and laugh again in endless reruns. Thank you girls!


2 comentarios:

  1. I've just bought seasons 2 and 3 (I already had season 1). I swear I ordered them before Bea's passing. God, I'm affraid to buy Roseanne's show, I don't want to kill her...

    They still make me laugh. Wherever you go, Bea, remember: make'em laugh!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. yeah! they were really a god show.Season 2! - I would love to see those episodes again!!!

    ResponderEliminar